What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a type of orthodontic treatment that uses clear, removable plastic aligners instead of traditional metal braces to straighten crooked teeth and give patients a beautiful smile. The aligners are custom-made for each patient based on digital impression of their teeth, and along with a custom treatment plan, they gradually move the teeth into the desired position over time.
Patients typically wear each set of aligners for about two weeks before switching to the next set in the series, with each new set applying a little more force to the teeth until they reach the desired position. Invisalign is often used to treat mild to moderate cases of misaligned teeth, overcrowding, and gaps, and it can also help with bite issues such as overbites, underbites, and crossbites.
One of the main advantages of Invisalign is that unlike traditional braces with metal brackets and rubber bands, the clear plastic aligners are nearly invisible, so most people won’t even notice that you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment. The aligners are also removable, so you can take them out to eat, brush, and floss, making it easier to maintain good oral hygiene compared to traditional braces. Additionally, because the aligners are made of smooth plastic, they’re more comfortable to wear than traditional braces, which can irritate the inside of your mouth.
Invisalign Aligners vs. Metal Braces
Invisalign is becoming a popular alternative to braces for many orthodontic patients due to its convenience and aesthetic appeal. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign aligners are made of a clear plastic material that is nearly undetectable when worn and can be removed for eating and brushing teeth. Metal braces require frequent adjustments that can cause discomfort. Invisalign, on the other hand, uses a series of customized aligners that move teeth gently and gradually throughout the treatment plan. Invisalign typically has a shorter treatment time than braces.
What Can Invisalign Treat?
Invisalign can be used to treat a variety of orthodontic issues, including:
- Crowded Teeth: When there is not enough room in the jaw for all the teeth to fit properly, they can become crowded and crooked, which can compromise your oral health and cause problems like periodontal disease. Invisalign can help by gently correcting tooth alignment and shifting the teeth into a more organized and spaced-out position.
- Gap Teeth: Gaps between teeth can be unsightly and can cause oral health problems. Invisalign can help correct minor spacing issues by gradually moving the teeth together.
- Overbite: An overbite occurs when the upper front teeth extend too far over the lower front teeth. This can cause issues with biting and chewing and can lead to pain and discomfort. Invisalign can help to correct mild overbites by bringing the upper and lower teeth into a more balanced position.
- Underbite: An underbite occurs when the lower front teeth extend too far forward, causing the lower jaw to jut out. This can cause discomfort and difficulty with biting and chewing. Invisalign can help correct mild underbites by shifting the lower jaw into a more natural position.
- Crossbite: A crossbite occurs when the upper and lower jaws are misaligned, causing some of the upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth. This can lead to problems with the jaw and the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). Invisalign can help to correct crossbites by bringing the upper and lower jaws into proper alignment.
- Open Bite: An open bite occurs when the front teeth don’t touch when biting down, causing the front of the bite to be open. This can cause difficulty with biting and chewing and can lead to speech problems. Invisalign can help to correct open bites by bringing the front teeth into proper alignment.
Common Questions About Invisalign
Does Invisalign work for everyone?
Invisalign is not suitable for everyone and may not be effective for treating certain orthodontic issues. Invisalign is best suited for mild to moderate cases of misaligned teeth, overcrowding, and gaps. Braces may be a better option for patients with more complex cases.
Additionally, Invisalign requires a high level of patient compliance, as the aligners must be worn for 20 to 22 hours per day to be effective. Patients who are not committed to wearing the aligners as directed may not achieve the desired results.
It’s important to have a consultation with an orthodontist to determine if Invisalign is right for you. During the consultation, your orthodontist will assess your individual needs and determine the most appropriate treatment plan to achieve your desired results.
How long is the treatment time for Invisalign?
The treatment time for Invisalign varies depending on the specific orthodontic issues being addressed and the individual patient’s response to treatment. On average, achieving a straighter smile with Invisalign takes about 12 to 18 months, although some patients may complete treatment in as little as six months, while others may take up to two years or more.
Are there any special instructions for cleaning the aligner trays?
You should clean your aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush and clear liquid soap. You can also use hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar. Avoid using hot water, as this can cause the aligners to warp or become misshapen. You can also soak your aligners in Invisalign’s cleaning crystals for about 15 minutes to help remove any tough stains or buildup.
Be sure to store your clean aligners in their case when not in use to protect them from damage.
Is Invisalign more expensive than other orthodontic treatments?
The average cost of Invisalign is usually slightly cheaper than other corrective treatment costs. You can pay for the cost of your treatment upfront in cash or with a credit card, or you can pay with your dental insurance plan, a health savings account, or flexible spending account.
Are there any foods I can’t eat while wearing Invisalign?
Since your aligners are removable, you can eat whatever you want during treatment. Just be sure to brush your teeth and put them back in after eating or drinking.
Get a Flawless Smile With Invisalign at Pennsylvania Center for Dental Excellence
At Pennsylvania Center for Dental Excellence, we offer the best in dental care with Invisalign to give you a flawless smile. With our cutting-edge technology, we can provide the best treatment for maximum comfort and convenience. You can see optimum results in minimum time with the help of Invisalign and make sure your teeth look more beautiful from day one. Contact us today to get your dream smile!